Sunday, September 15, 2013

"Shatter Me" by Tahereh Mafi - A Book Review

*SPOILERS ARE CONTAINED WITHIN THIS REVIEW*

No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but the Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon. But Juliette has plans of her own. After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time - and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.

    Okay, so... I'd LOVE to rant about this book (how good it was, how bad it was) But I can't.
    Because this book was neither AMAZING, nor was it horrible.
    There is only one word to describe it perfectly...
    Meh.
    This book was meh.
    That's not to say that I didn't find it an enjoyable read. There is just so much about it that is... meh.
    One thing that I found refreshing was the unique layout of the interior. The manuscript showed Juliette's "non-thoughts" in a sort of "diary-esque" way.
    First, I'll explain what I enjoyed about Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi:

    - the plot -
    I always love a good dystopian storyline. And I mean LOVE. Shatter Me had the exact kind of thing I was looking for: 1. A dystopic world where a dictatorial government has taken over, but among the chaos a group of rebels and misfits have been growing, nearly ready for war. 2. Freakish powers. Who doesn't love a good story about a girl who is, herself, an unexplained phenomena? These powers are a story in and of themselves.
   
    - the characters -
    1. Juliette was an easy character to sympathize (or is it empathize?) with. She's been mentally, physically, and emotionally scarred by those she thought loved her. And she never fought back. She always thought she deserved it. Juliette constantly turns the other cheek. And I love that about her. 2. Adam. I didn't expect such a large part of the story to be about Juliette's and Adam's relationship, but that seemed to be a large focus point of this entire book. I'm not against it, though. The storyline is the storyline. *shrugs*. Adam is a likeable character. He is respectful of Juliette and cares for her deeply. He fights for those he cares about and is tender with his younger brother. Which leads me to the third character. 3. James is immediately likeable. He is a flurry of emotion. Excitement over his brother's return. Suspicion of Juliette's sudden appearance into his and his brother's lives. I don't know that anybody could dislike him. :) 4. Warner. Okay, I don't get Warner. He's just complicated. I can tell he is conflicted and power-hungry. But what is up with his obsession for Juliette?

    Okay, now things I didn't particularly like...

    - the plot -
    Romance centered, simple. Nothing much to say about it. :P It's enjoyable, though.

    - the characters -
    Juliette is constantly wallowing in self-pity until Adam comes along and she finds him "perfectly sculpted" and swoon-worthy. At first, their relationship seems impossibly instant and based entirely off of lust. And this doesn't change much, but once the reader discovers their pasts, their relationship because somewhat understandable. And Warner is obnoxiously arrogant and won't listen to Juliette, whom he supposedly loves.

    Sexual Stuff - Passionate kissing; Juliette's and Adam's relationship is lustful, to say the least. Though, Adam is respectful of Juliette's boundaries, even though she isn't.
    Language - Everything except the f-word.
    Violence - Mild; Characters are shot and beaten.
    Scary Images - Juliette and a toddler are locked in a room (for an experiment) where blades and spikes just out of the walls.

    All in all, this book was enjoyable, but I can't say that I enjoyed every minute of it. Would I recommend it? Meh.

3.5 of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment