Monday, August 26, 2013

I Am Divergent

    Okay, so I've already read Divergent and Insurgent last summer, but I'm rereading them in preparation for the finale, Allegiant. (Author = Veronica Roth) I will be pre-ordering the final book. And I can NOT wait until it comes out!
    But as I read this series again, and as I write my many, MANY WIPs, I come to the realization that... I. AM. DIVERGENT.
    In this series, every person must choose which personality they identify themselves with.
    Here's the problem.
    I cannot choose.
    In some way or another...
    I am each of these traits: selfless, brave, honest, peaceful, intelligent. I could be Erudite, Dauntless, Candor, Amity, Abnegation.
    But I am Divergent.
    In a way, this also identifies with my life as an author.
    I cannot identify myself with just one genre or style of writing. The many worlds I've created, each of them must be unique in their diversity.
    Each of them is Divergent.
    As their creator...
    I am Divergent.
    And so... every author likely comes to this crossroads: they can choose just one genre in which to write, one path on which to go.
    Or they can explore and master each genre, each style.
    It is nearly impossible for me and my kind (writers) to choose just one personality, just one genre.
    I am Divergent.
    We are Divergent.
    One choice will transform us...
    or it can destroy us...


No comments:

Post a Comment