Friday, April 20, 2012

"The Spiderwick Chronicles" - Movie Review

From the moment the Grace family moves into a secluded old house, peculiar things start to happen. Unable to explain the accidents and strange disappearances, the Grace children, Simon, Jared, and Mallory, start to investigate and find the unbelievable truth of the Spiderwick Estate and the amazing creatures that inhabit it. 


    I recently ordered The Spiderwick Chronicles, in anticipation of a fun, clean, modern fantasy, family-friendly movie.
    I got everything I expected and more. This movie is thrilling, mysterious, and fun! I enjoyed every minute of it.
    Though I didn't find myself attached to the characters - I rarely do in movies anyways - I did find myself rooting for them and concerned as well as being mad at them at some points.
    The main character, Jared, however, is somewhat of a brat, as he talks back to his mother and at one point says, "I hate you!", he also has anger issues, which causes him to hit things.
    Often times, though, I wonder why it is that in movies like these, the parents are always oblivious and don't believe in things abnormal. I was happy when the mother finally believed her children.
    There was one minor, notable part that questions an off-screen character's morals. It is implied, and eventually proven, that the kids' father had an affair and has moved in with his new girlfriend. This disturbed me, though I was thankful that there wasn't much more.
    As for language, "Oh, my g--" was used a few times; "fre---ng" was used once; and it was implied that one of the goblins was about to use the S-word, but was killed before he could finish the vulgar statement.
    The violence in the movie was definitely deserving of its PG rating. However, it didn't start getting really violent until nearly the end. The Grace family threw a tomato sauce mix, which is deadly to the goblins, at them, causing the goblins' skin to char and explode, which sent green blood and body parts flying. Fingers and appendages were severed, a monster was hit by a car, birds are eaten by a pig-like creature, the evil ogre, which disguised itself as the kids' father, was stabbed by Jared when he realized it wasn't his father.
    Yes, there were some disturbing images. The goblins, the ogre, a Brownie that, if not soothed by honey, or if it gets made, turns into a big, ugly, Boggart, the shape-shifting ogre turns into a gigantic snake that tries to kill Jared in order to get the Spiderwick field guide.
    In the end, though, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and will be keeping it to watch again.
    I give this movie 4 of 5 stars and recommend it to anyone who isn't afraid of a little language, violence, or semi-disturbing images.

4 of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment