Friday, March 2, 2012

Beyond the Reflection's Edge - by Bryan Davis

    Sixteen-year-old Nathan Shepherd has a great life traveling where the careers of his father, an investigator, and mother, a renowned violinist, take him... Until his parents are found murdered. 
    Left with only a mirror and notes from his father's last case, Nathan goes into hiding at the remote country home of Tony, his father's college buddy, and Tony's teenage daughter, Kelly. The mysterious mirror must be a clue to what happened to his parents, and when images appear in it-people and things that don't exist-Nathan and Kelly painstakingly gather evidence. But the killers want the mirror, too, and danger threatens the teens at every turn. 
(Synopsis taken from the back of the book)

When I started this book by renowned novelist, Bryan Davis, I was really psyched. It was really easy to jump into. The story seemed to just suck you in, and the characters were very likable. But... the plot seemed, to me, to be very confusing. Several times I found myself having to reread sections of the book to try and make sense of what was going on. Needless to say, it took me a while.
However, all in all it was a fantastic book that I really enjoyed. I loved how the main character's morals were continually weaved into the story, showing that there are still kids out there who have virtues. I loved the strength of his non-conformity. The book shows the scars of our past and the hope of our future.
I give it a total of 4/5 stars.
Way to go, Bryan Davis! I can't wait to read book 2!

Signing off,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment