Monday, March 26, 2012

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - Review

Though I read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins nearly a year ago, I fell the need (and want) to review it for all you out there who are curious about it, but are afraid to get it.

Winning means fame and fortune.
Losing means certain death.
the Hunger Games have begun...

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
    Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before - and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

    I first saw this book in a bookstore in Canada. The description was really intriguing to me and I figured I would enjoy it, but I decided to go with a different book and to get this one at another time.
    I ended up getting The Hunger Games for Christmas. (Thank you, Aunty)
    A few months later, I finally read it and was caught up in the story from page one.
    The fact that the story was in first person really helped me to get into the mind of the main character, Katniss Everdeen, hunter and warrior.
    The basic plot of the story is established in the first little bit. There were few surprises. But sometimes that is a good thing. And in The Hunger Games, it was.
    I enjoyed every second of the book and could not put it down, finishing it in a week. Nearly immediately after reading it, I got books two and three, Catching Fire and Mockingjay, with my birthday money.
    All in all, I give this book a Five of five star review and definitely recommend it to anyone in search of a good, adventurous and just plain AWESOME read.

Signing off,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment